- 7 Best Chicken Tips for brand spanking new Chicken Proprietors
- 1. Begin with chicks or mature wild birds rather of eggs
- 2. Choose dual-purpose chicken breeds
- 3. It's not necessary to add too much together with your coop
- 4. Stay as natural as you possibly can
- 5. Set up a routine together with your chickens
- 6. Keep things clean
- 7. Obtain a heated water bowl (for cold climate flocks)
- Let's Play Chicku: Episode 1: True Chicken Lore
Chickens are extremely popular nowadays, even though I am not often fan of “trends,” I occur to think this is an excellent one! There's lots of chicken raising information available also it can certainly be overwhelming initially. As I don't tell you they are the ultimate authority of the things chicken, I have stored a flock for quite some time now and wish to share my seven best chicken strategies for simplifying your chicken keeping.
7 Best Chicken Tips for brand spanking new Chicken Proprietors
1. Begin with chicks or mature wild birds rather of eggs
Yes, it appears like it may be fun to incubate and hatch the first batch of chickens from eggs, but it is much easier to begin with a proper couple of chicks and move from there. While hatching your personal is certainly something may decide to consider later on, allow you to ultimately become familiar with intricacies of chicken health insurance and behavior before you take around the sometimes frustrating realm of egg incubation.
Most local feed stores receive chick orders early in the year, so watch store flyers carefully to find out when they'll arrive in your town. If the is not a choice where you reside, you may also catalog shopping chicks from web sites like Murray McMurray Hatchery. (Take a look at Getting Began with Meat Chickens for detailed information about how to welcome your chicks home.)
An alternative choice would be to purchase mature hens who're already lounging for the first flock. Although this works a few of the time, you frequently finish track of the “culls” using their company people's flocks, so be cautious about what you're buying.
2. Choose dual-purpose chicken breeds
Chickens are often categorized into two varieties: meat breeds and lounging breeds. Discover quite sure which route you want to visit, select a breed we know of to put a good quantity of eggs, but additionally has sufficient meat production in situation you finish track of extra rooster or perhaps a hen that does not lay. Personally, my personal favorite breeds are Rhode Island Reds, Nh Reds, Barred Rocks, and Araucanas. Combination chickens also appear to become hardier and much more self-sufficient than various other “specialized” breeds. (Take a look at Best Chicken Breeds for that Homestead for any comparison of various breeds.)
3. It's not necessary to add too much together with your coop
I have seen some wild chicken coops recently! A number of them are fancier than my actual house, and it is difficult to know if these were meant for an individual or perhaps a bird. If getting an expensive coop is stopping you moving forward from obtaining a flock of your- don't allow it. Chickens do not require a 5-star turn to be at liberty.
Chickens should have:
- defense against predators
- a location to roost
- nesting boxes (for layers)
- room to maneuver
It is simple to meet these needs by modifying a current building (small barn, shed, or perhaps a doghouse) or creating a small chicken tractor. Browse the Backyard Chicken board on Pinterest for chicken house and tractor inspiration.
4. Stay as natural as you possibly can
Because the curiosity about chicken keeping grows, so the gimmicks. You may make your chicken adventure as basic or as complicated as you wish. A couple of ways I keep my chickens as natural when i can:
- The opportunity your chickens when possible, which cuts lower on feed bills and offers all of them with an eating plan a lot more like nature intended. (Plus, they Like it! You need to be careful of possible predators.)
- Stay away from chemicals or special “washes” to disinfect the coop. Rather I personally use an all natural, homemade solution.
- Feed chickens crushed egg shells to assist to supplement their calcium intake.
- Give chickens a variety of kitchen scraps, which will help to give them extra nutrients. Additionally, it keeps that rather more waste from hitting my garbage can.
- Don't leave lights in it all year long to pressure them into lounging. Since chickens specified for to take a rest from lounging, I favor to enable them to achieve this – that also reduces the quantity of electricity I personally use. (However, I Actually Do provide heat lamps whenever our temperatures drop.)
- Go homemade whenever you can. I have prevented acquiring the costly chicken equipment in the feed store by creating my very own feeders and chick waterers from repurposed products. We made our nesting boxes and roosts from scrap lumber.
5. Set up a routine together with your chickens
Many people appear to consider their chickens as dogs and spend numerous hrs doting in it. Personally, i do not have that luxury, since I am running a whole homestead, with lots of other creatures. Since my chickens are really among the lower maintenance facets of my homestead, it's not hard to “forget” about the subject sometimes… I have discovered that things run the smoothest after i set up a daily schedule for filling feeders, waterers, freshening the bedding, and collecting eggs. This way, poor people women do not get pressed to standby. 🙂
6. Keep things clean
This comes with the previous reason for creating a regular. Dirty nesting boxes equal dirty eggs which equals the dilemma of whether you need to wash your eggs.
An oz of prevention goes a lengthy way – it takes only just a few minutes to wash boxes and replace bedding should you choose it every day. Should you hold back until the finish each week, you will have a larger task, plus plenty of dirty eggs. You have to the ground of the coop – if you work with the deep litter method, take just a few minutes to show the bedding every time you have been in the coop.
7. Obtain a heated water bowl (for cold climate flocks)
Generally I am the kind of person who prefers the non-electric approach to coping with problems. However, with regards to coping with chicken water, a heated dog bowl continues to be invaluable! If you reside in a chilly climate much like me, shallow chicken buckets or pans freeze rapidly, and you will be outdoors every couple hrs breaking ice and refilling. Save some time to headache by splurging for any plug-in dog bowl. It's well worth the cost and my women certainly be thankful. (During the sunshine, when needed waterers, which essentially work like drip pet waterers on the bigger scale, might be simpler to help keep clean than standard waterers, but they're vulnerable to freezing.)
As you can tell, chickens is often as easy or as complicated as you decide to make sure they are. If you possess the time and effort, then go ahead and, develop a Victorian-style coop and blend them up gourmet treats. 🙂 However, if you're a full-time homesteader much like me, I think you will be amazed in the benefits chickens will prove to add your homestead, without procuring work.
You may even find helpful:
- Homestead Other poultry – Easy to look after Barnyard Protectors and Weed Eaters
- Chickenpalooza! An Incredible Listing of Homestead Chicken Sources
- How you can Raise Chickens Cheaply – Strategies for Raising Chickens on a tight budget
This can be a guest publish from Jill Winger in the Prairie Homestead. Jill is really a homesteader and prairie-occupant who likes to inspire others to go back to their roots, learn additional skills, and embark by themselves homestead journey.
Initially published this year, updated in 2017.
Let's Play Chicku: Episode 1: True Chicken Lore
Comments are closed here.